Many of us morning runners do the bulk of our mileage in the morning because of demanding careers and busy work schedules. But for some of us, after years of running in the a.m., the routine can get a bit stale. So here are a few ways you can shake things up and keep that run exciting and full of flavor.
1. One foolproof way – constantly change up your route. I like to play Dora the Explorer from time to time and throw in random hills and parts of town I wouldn’t normally frequent.
2. Head over to Strava to explore segments in your community. If you are not on Strava already, it is high time that you join! Add me as a friend too when you get a chance. It’s a great way to keep track of your training week to week and explore parts of town you wouldn’t normally frequent.
3. Run to grab a cup of coffee! Literally. That is what I look forward to the most honestly after my morning runs. Our runs on Tuesdays and Thursdays start and end at the coffee shop so even better. Guatemalan roast from Java Me Up never tasted so good.
4. Throw in a track workout. Most training plans these days will have times during the week where you will do some speedwork. Plan your route with a high school track in the middle so you can warm up and head on over to do those 800s. You can also do these types of workouts on the roads too, but I just love the softness of the track. Much more forgiving on the joints. Track workouts aren’t easy though, but when you’re done you’ll feel like a total badass.
5. Save time at the end of your run to get your yoga on. I love doing a little yoga sequence and stretching my hips out post run. I recommend this youtube video, it’s quick and easy to do after a run.
What are some ways you like to mix up your run routine?