Just like any relationship, yours with running sometimes will require a little bit of TLC. In order to stay happy and healthy as a runner there are a few things that you can do to keep things spicy!
1. Incorporate intervals & speedwork. These can be done on a track or on the treadmill. Also, fartleks, my personal favorite (and no, it’s not a bad word) are one my favorite ways to speed things up and get it in. Try it- warm up during your run, then start off running HARD for 30 seconds-1 min, recover, and repeat. This will help you with your efficiency and leg turnover while running & racing.
2. Cross training. Do other things other than JUST run! Running is very repetitive on your body so move it differently sometimes. Cycling, dancing, yoga. Pick up them weights! This for me helps prevent burnout and keeps me running strong all year round.
3. Change up your route! We all know running in the same dang neighborhood all the time can get redundant. Be Dora the Explorer. Head to a lake or a park that you have never been to and enjoy the change of scenery.
4. Run with others! Find a running club or group in your area that surrounds those miles around something FUN! There are so many social groups now that will do coffee, brunch, or something fun after too so that makes it even easier to get it in!
5. Bring along some different fuel on your long run to try. Whether it be a different flavor Gu, some gummy bears, or dried fruit. It will be something you can look forward to while you’re logging those miles and will give you that extra boost!
6. Do some trail running. It is fun to get off the beaten path sometimes. Make sure you stay aware of your surroundings and bring some friends along for the ride! You will be glad you did.
7. Run in the rain! As long as there’s no lightning/severe weather you will be good to go. It has been raining a LOT here lately but I have to say I feel pretty hardcore when I get out there and bust it out.
8. Practice running without music/data sometimes. I like to call this naked running…haha. You don’t always need to know your pace. Go outside just to get some fresh air. Listen to your feet hitting the pavement. It’s like a form of moving mediation.
9. Sign up for a race. Or…more than one race! Heck…plan a RACE-CATION!! Have something to look forward to and keep you headed towards some kind of goal.
10. Change up the time of day that you run! Now I am a bonafide morning runner but sometimes I do enjoy a lunch time run during the work day. It’s a nice way to break up the monotony!
And…always remember this.
What are some ways you like to keep your running spicy?