It was a 10k kind of morning. The sunflowers were especially beautiful today! It felt good to get outside and I think we have some cooler weather coming in which makes me happy.
Yeah, cooler like 90 degrees vs. 100 but hey…every bit counts so at this point I will take what I can get.
Speaking of things that make me happy…here are a few ways I love to treat myself when the rigors of marathon training wear me down. Running day in and day out…sometimes you have to pamper yourself…runners style. Am I right?
Here are some of my favorite ways to get some post run r & r.
1. Massages. I prefer deep tissue kinds of rubdowns that are just a little more thorough just to get those kinks out. It helps if you have a flex spending account at work too because those funds can go towards massage therapy work. My suggestion is to find a therapist you love and stick with them always. They will get to learn your body and what your needs are.
2. Foam rolling. And while we are on that foam rolling is a great form of self massage. I love to rub my calves and hamstrings down after an intense workout.
3. Compression socks. I prefer to wear these more for post run recovery as opposed to during races. But if you are having issues like shin splints or muscle tightness they are good for DURING your run as well. I like to come home from a long run, put these babies on and just kick my feet up with a glass of wine or a smoothie. Heaven.
4. Spa pedicures…oh yes…I get them about once a month or so. They are so necessary. I have to keep my tootsies happy and it just feels good to get the legs and feet rubbed down.
5. Yoga. So freaking good for the mind body and soul. Find a donation based studio in your area (DFW peeps, this is the one I go to…it’s awesome) or…you can do it right in your living room with Adriene’s awesome yoga channel.
What are some of your favorite ways to TREAT YO SELF?