Confession, I have to admit I slept in just a bit before this morning’s run. Which was wonderful! Sometimes just getting out the door is the hardest part. After putting in a good 20 miler over the weekend my body is definitely feeling it and needing the extra rest. Oh yes, and I’m getting a massage tonight and totally looking forward to it.
I have had a few runs this year on the trail and a few trail races in year’s past…this one and this one especially provided quite the challenge. They definitely are a different beast from road racing but I do love the serenity of being immersed in nature.
Here are a some pointers that have helped me get off the beaten path!
1. Be on the lookout for sticks and roots on the ground beneath you. For me this is the biggest thing because I’m probably the clumsiest person in America. This is especially important on a more technical trail with rocks and such around or that come out of nowhere.
2. Bring some buddies with you. It really does make being out on the trail lots more fun.
3. Try not to get too distracted in conversation. Make sure you are staying aware of your surroundings for sure! It’s easy to get lost in whatever it is you’re talking about then lose sight of the ground and trip because you weren’t paying attention. Not like that’s happened to me or anything…I’m just saying.
4. Slow down your pace and just enjoy nature. Being out on the trail is definitely NOT about going fast. Let go of your ego and learn to love not worrying about your pace all of the dang time.
5. Wear some running shoes that you do not mind at all getting dirty. Oh yeah, sometimes it can get muddy out there! They do make specialty trail shoes to handle the different terrain so that would be a great investment.
What are some tips you have for getting off the beaten path?