Morning miles all smiles. Enjoying a bit of vitamin D and the sunflowers. Thank you mother nature for the awesome cloud cover!
So yeah…let’s get straight to the topic. Hope you can relate! Things only distance runners understand.
1. Very few things in life are more satisfying than a weekend long run. Especially in the crisp cool fall air…after a LONG HOT Texas summer. Can I get an amen?
2. This is not punishment. This is my idea of fun. Crazy fun but endorphin filled runner’s high kind of fun.
3. Some of life’s issues/drama/etc can likely be solved on that 4 hour run. Believe it.
4. That post marathon meal/treat/glass of wine (or 3) is without a doubt the most delicious rewarding item.
5. Putting vaseline/body glide/coconut oil on all parts of your body. It will save you from a world of chafing.
6. Talking yourself up a crazy big hill especially during a race.
7. The swoosh of the downhill…always fun…but your quads will pay for it afterwards.
8. Choosing to sit in a bath full of icey water.
9. Getting that second wind on a long run. It’s kind of the best feeling ever.
10. Sizing up a street or park for its potential as a running route.
11. Running past your front door 3 or 4 times to hit that perfect mile marker. Hey, this is important stuff, people.
12. Those numbers mean more to you than just digits though…they represent the hard work, dedication and perseverance.
13. Having to explain to your friends/family/strangers exactly how long a marathon is. Never gets old.
14. Going down the steps backwards after 26.2 miles…oh yes, it’s a rite of passage. Learn to love that post race soreness. Because it’s kind of awesome.
15. Doing the head nod or smiling at a fellow distance runner in the streets. Because we understand each other.
What do you love about being a distance runner?