Tuesday 10k this morning with my breakfast club crew. We actually had a bunch of colorful shoes show up for this morning’s run! Our posse is slowly growing little by little.
So today I thought I’d talk about a few reasons why I really enjoy trail running. I know it’s not for everyone…and a lot of my road racing friends sometimes shy away from the trail. But there are definitely things to remember that will make you a better trail runner in the long run.
These are the reasons why I enjoy taking a break from the pavement and embracing the dirt path!
1. It’s so good to mix up the terrain that you run on. As mostly a road runner/pavement pounder I know my feet definitely appreciate the break. Plus the softer surface is a tad easier on your joints.
2. You’re surrounded by beauty and nature. I tell ya…there is nothing more breathtaking than being surrounded by big trees and a shaded path. It’s like a runner’s paradise.
3. Trail running is just another great way to bond with friends. I always have so much fun exploring nature with my running buddies. We plan on getting out there more often in the near future.
4. You get an incredible workout and use different muscle groups. Especially with a technical/rocky terrain. I feel like trail running is a great way to use your core and parts of your body you wouldn’t normally use when you’re out on the cement. I also am usually quite sore afterwards. It’s running on a whole notha level!
5. It enables you to face your fears…I have to say I’m not an expert trail runner (and YES…I have fallen out there a time or three) but every time I embrace the trail It helps me get more confident…it’s all about practice and persistence. The more you do it, trust me…the better at trail running you will get. Just remember..take it easy, look at the ground underneath you, and steady is the key. Just keep on movin’.
6. It’s somewhat relaxing and just feels gosh darn GOOD! As I get older I’m learning to appreciate the trail more and more. It’s like being in a beautiful sanctuary of sorts.
Which leads me to my next adventure…Fossil Valley! I am signed up to run a TRAIL RELAY on July 23rd! Running at night with my closest runner friends…enjoying some running club bonding and crazy fun. I am super pumped about this one! Stay tuned.
What’s your next adventure? How is your running/training going?