7 miles before 7 a.m. with the crew this morning in about 90 percent humidity. Just working up a sweat before the rain came through! It actually felt like a great detox…yes, running is a big part of my beauty regimen. Gotta love it.
I have to say these early morning runs have become a staple in my workout routine. It’s definitely not always easy to get up at the crack of dawn but I’m always happy in the end that I did it. It doesn’t hurt that many times I get to see the sunrise and hang out with my closest runner friends. I love me some Irving Running Club.
Here are some benefits to getting up and getting outdoors. Whether you run, do an outdoor strength session or sunset yoga…getting out into the elements is a great way to get that heart rate up and work the body out.
1. The endorphin rush is like no other. For me there’s no quicker way to turn my mood around than to get outside and get running.
2. Nature can kind of be pretty distracting! Most times I am so in love with my surroundings that I forget I’m working out! And for me that is so key. You are more likely to be more consistent if you are doing something that you LOVE…that doesn’t feel like such an obligation. Running for me never feels like something that I HAVE to do. It’s always something I want to do. Whether it’s speedwork, long run, tempo whatever. It’s all fun to me. Hard work, but fun work.
3. Being out in the elements can provide a more challenging workout. It is what you make it. Often times you are facing wind, rain, heat, cold, hills, all kinds of things that you wouldn’t encounter at the gym or on the treadmill. And I love it.
4. Fresh air, more oxygen going to the body. Can’t argue about that.
5. Working out in nature is absolutely free. No gym payments or crazy studio fees. Get out in nature more and save a little dough. Your wallet will thank you.
What are some of the benefits you’ve experienced working out outdoors?