Hello! It was a 7 before 7 kind of morning…just enjoying this awesome (humid) view with my running club. 7 miles before 7 a.m.
I tell ya…it sure is starting to heat up down here! I’m seeing lots of weekend pool time in my near future.
Post run refreshment…have you tried the Starbucks pink drink yet? It’s filled with acai and coconut milk, then strawberries thrown in. And all for less than 150 calories. You can read more about it here. My new summer favorite.
Speaking of summer…and humidity…here are a few ways you can enjoy those miles this season…run happy and beat the heat!
1. Lather up on that sunscreen…and the body glide. Chafing can definitely be avoided with the right products. I recommend body glide and also coconut oil! If you didn’t know coconut oil actually is a natural SPF. I would mix the two for best results. Your skin will thank you.
2. Don’t underestimate the power of electrolytes. Especially with longer runs, I like to take in some Nuun or mix my water with a bit of gatorade.
3. It’s okay to slow the pace down in order to adapt and acclimate to the heat. I tend to run 30 seconds to a minute per mile slower than usual in the summer. Not to worry…when those fall marathons roll around and it cools off you will be stronger both physically and mentally! Just get through those runs and you will absolutely build strength and endurance. Consistency is key.
4. Have the proper running swag. Wear light colored clothing, dri fit tops and shorts. The lighter the material, the better.
5. Run in the heat with awesome people. It surely helps those runs go way faster when you run with fun buddies!
What are some ways you enjoy those summer miles?