Happy New Year to you! It has been a few days but I am back, ya’ll! Or you all…like some of you up north would say. But down here in Texas it is YA’LL…all day everyday. I have been rocking my running lately and wearing my Divas ambassador gear. Just because I love all things pink and sparkly with glitter involved.
So it’s the new year! And for some of ya’ll that means hopping back on the fitness bandwagon and whipping yourselves into shape. As a fitness instructor I can tell you that I’ve seen it all. The gym was packed like sardines last night with everyone trying to get it in. Game faces on and ready to go.
For those of my friends/readers on here who run…there are so many ways you can get your RUN on and spice things up in the new year! Yes, that includes stepping up your training, getting faster and going longer. Here are some ways you can do just that.
1. Join a running tribe. This for me was the biggest game changer for my running in the last year. Linking up with a running club will definitely help to get your mojo back and the social aspect of it is phenomenal. Make new friends and have the accountability factor at the same time.
2. Find a training plan that is realistic to your lifestyle. And that you KNOW you will mostly stick to. When I first began training for races solo I absolutely loved the Hal Higdon program. There are different levels of training and explanations with each plan. Plus it is free. Can’t go wrong with that.
3. Find ways to sneak in runs during different times of the day. I am honestly a bonafide morning runner but there is just something about changing it up and running at night, at lunch or in the afternoon. You get to see different things you wouldn’t normally see at the usual time you run plus our bodies always just need a shock and to shake it up and do things a different way.
4. Have run dates with your girlfriends! (or your significant other, whatever your choice) Plan an evening around a long run and then go out for drinks or happy hour after. Running and vino go hand in hand.
5. Train for a distance that makes you uncomfortable. Yes, you heard me right. Do you only run 5ks and 10ks and are thinking of pulling the half marathon trigger? NOW is the time. Marathoners, are you terrified of signing up for that 50k, 50 miler, 100?? Stop second guessing yourself. You are capable of so much more than you think. Believe it.
And while we are on the topic of races, if you live in Texas and are looking for a spring half marathon…join me April 23rd for the Divas Half Marathon in Galveston! Save money with discount code CRDIVATX17! You’re welcome.
What are some ways you are going to spice up your running in 2017?