1. The sunrises…all of the most vibrant colors seem to come out in the winter time.
2. Sometimes you will come across a day that feels like springtime…take today for instance. Highs in the 70s in January? Lovely.
3. It rarely gets icy or snows down here. (and when it does, watch out…Texas drivers are terrible and don’t know what to do with themselves). But that makes for clear roads which means more running for me.
4. Usually the mornings are crisp and cool. Temps in the 40s and 50s for running is my jam.
5. It’s basically shorts weather all year ‘round. And I love it.
6. There are lots of fun races in the winter time. This is my favorite time of year hands down to train for a marathon or ultra.
7. My pace just gets a little bit speedier. Although lately with higher mileage my pace has been pretty much easy in the 9 minute range. But yesterday I ran 7 miles in under an hour and it felt GREAT. Loving seeing 8 and 7 minute miles back on my watch.
8. For the most part its dark and cold in the mornings which means it’s nice and quiet out. Because yeah, most people sleep in. They are definitely missing out on getting some good miles in. We did have a decent turn out this morning for the IRC run which I was happy about.
9. When it does snow a little bit, it’s always a happy moment. Simply because we do not get that much so it’s always a sight to see.
10. The post run coffee in the mornings is always that much more amazing.
What do you love about winter running? Do you live somewhere where it’s crazy cold out?