If you’re anything like me, you have to brace yourself every summer for the intensity that is training in the insane crazy heat. We reach triple digits on a consistent basis in the summer time which can definitely make running all the more challenging! However, here are some reasons why you should still hit the roads and sign up for some races during those hot summer months.
1. To keep your fitness going strong. Sure it’s hot, and some days we just don’t want to be out there because of the sun blazing down our backs. But signing up for that local 5k or 10k will definitely keep your engine revved up and keep your fitness level high during the season.
2. Do it for the cold refreshing post race beverages after. Nothing is better after a run or race than an ice cold fruit pop or ice cold water…or hey, a margarita or beer? I am not judging.
3. There are actually some fun races in the summer months. If you are anywhere in the Dallas area, I recommend Too Hot to Handle, the Cobra 5k or the Hottest Half. All are fun races to get some miles in the hot hot heat.
4. To have an excuse to take long post race dip in the pool. Why not, you have earned it. Cool off those legs with a dip in the water.
5. As a benchmark race for those upcoming fall marathons. Testing out your speed in the summer will definitely get you prepped and ready for a fall 26.2.
6. Because when fall and winter roll around, you will feel so speedy! The cooler weather will feel so amazing if you race and/or train in the summer months. Believe it.
Are you signed up for any epic summer runs?