So that wonderful time of year is upon us. Time for hot and humid runs, long runs on the weekends, and gearing up those miles for upcoming fall marathons. And we all know that training for a fall race means running all summer long. Here are some ways you can stay cool this season during those hot runs.
1. Run in shaded areas. Although it is not always easy to run in the shade, try to familiarize yourself with a route with plenty of trees to keep you nice and cool. It can definitely make a huge difference to have a nice and shady route.
2. Run early in the morning before sunrise or after sunset. I personally prefer mornings, as early as possible in the summer. You get it done before you are even thinking about it and no excuses after work later. When we have our club runs during the week I try and start my runs well before 5:30 a.m. For those of you that aren’t morning people, yes it’s not always easy but once you get into a routine you are good to go. Ain’t nothing to it but to do it.
3. Sunscreen, sun visor/hat, sunglasses always make a difference. I don’t know about you but yes, I do burn in the summer time. Black people get sunburns too! I am just saying. Haha. Protect that skin.
4. Be intentional about carrying your hydration. It can be a pain but helpful those times when you are running a route without water fountains. Personally I love routes with water available or at least a convenience store nearby so I can pop in and grab a beverage. But it’s nice not to have to stop and you can just sip and go.
5. Wrap a ice cold bandana around your neck or a cold towel. Lots of folks do this and I have done it when they pass ‘em out at races. It really is amazing and cools you down.
What are some ways you stay cool during hot runs?