Early morning runs. They sometimes can be a necessary evil. For those of us that have busy careers and hectic work weeks they are often times the only way you can get it in. So, how do you wake up fresh faced and ready to run? It is sometimes easier said than done. Here are a few ways you can get a JOLT of energy into those early miles.
1. Grab a banana or some quick carbs pre run. I am actually terrible at eating before a run especially if it is really early. But if you are running for longer than an hour you really need to put some gas in the tank. So go to bed early (I’m in bed by 9 p.m. most nights) and get up and grab a quick bite. It doesn’t have to be a full fledged breakfast, even a piece of toast with a bit of almond butter will work.
2. Wear a headlamp or some sort of reflective lights if it is dark out. I try to be sure I run with friends and in a lit up neighborhood but having those lights sometimes can make all the difference. It even makes me feel a little bit more awake.
3. Get you some cool jams. Get you a killer early morning run playlist, like ‘crunk in the A.M.’. Yes, Spotify can be very helpful for rocking it out on the run.
4. Find some hills on your route. I get really bored if my early morning run is flat, so a lot of times I will go out of my way to find some hills or slight inclines. It mixes it up and makes things more fun. Mounds of opportunity.
5. Finish your run at or near a local coffee shop. Knowing that cup of java is waiting for you post run can sometimes make all the difference.
What are some ways your like to energize your early morning runs?