I love doing my long runs and workouts with other runners, but some days you need to get in that run whether your buds can make it or not. Solo runs can be a fantastic thing for you mentally as well. It’s all about that mind + body connection!! So here are a few ways that I like to keep my runs spicy and fresh when I am rolling solo.
1. Chase the sun…literally run with the sunrise. It is kind of my favorite thing to do. I love starting in the dark and it slowly and progressively gets lighter outside. Plus, you have to have a photo for Strava? Duh. Yes, I am totally one of those people that has to have a Strava photo for every run. Even if it is like a snapshot of something random. It’s kind of my thing.
2. Run to some music you wouldn’t normally listen to! Some days I like reggae, other days country (I am from Texas after all). Switch up your music choices! What can I say, my taste in music is pretty eclectic. One time I even ran to jazz music. It was perfect for a relaxed run.
3. Use the time to brainstorm some creative ideas for an upcoming project. Honestly I do some of my best thinking while running. And for some reason my head is always super clear and I’m definitely more coherent (ha) after getting the miles in.
4. Count how many random things you find on the ground. LOL. Or something like that. On my double run day yesterday in the evening I saw a ton of empty liquor bottles. Sometimes I even see gift cards? It is the strangest thing.
5. Say hello to every person you see. It’s always interesting to see if they say hi back…or just stare at you blankly like you are the nutty one.
6. Run on the grass. Sometimes when I’m running on roads and get bored of pounding the pavement I will switch it up and run on the grass. It definitely does wonders for reducing the impact.
7. And of course…my FAVE – to start and end the run at either a coffee shop or brunch place where friends can meet you. Coffee, brunch, running…matches made in heaven.
What are some ways you like to spice up a solo run?