1. Wow, peep that killer sunrise headed our way. I mean my goodness…wouldn’t it be nice to wake up to that just about everyday.
2. Alright. Time to lineup with some runners to run some miles. Let’s size up a few of these folks. She looks like she might beat me. This one, not so much.
3. Everyone looks nervous.
4. Okay two minutes to go. GPS signal ON.
5. GAME ON.
6. What if stuff goes wrong today? What if it ALL GOES WRONG? What if I start chafing in random places.
7. Nah, I’m good.
8. I’ve totally got this.
9. Okay gun has gone off and we are rollin’.
10. This sand is super runnable. Way more runnable than predicted.
11. People actually DRIVE over this sand it is so packed. That is pretty cool.
12. I wonder what would happen if I just became a beach bum and lived here the rest of my life. Wouldn’t that be lovely.
13. Actually no, it wouldn’t. Because hurricanes.
14. Dang it, that sunrise. I have to stop taking pictures.
15. Totally pass that chick, she started out way too fast.
16. Chill out girl, 48 miles to go.
17. Okay…aid station time. They have all the goodies like at trail runs. I’ll have a little bit of this and a little bit of that.
18. MMM Coca cola. It tastes so much better during a run for some reason. Otherwise I never drink the stuff.
19. Need a little caffeine boost.
20. Mile 10. A runner guy asks me how I’m doing. Um. So we are at mile 10, dude. TOO EARLY TO DETERMINE.
21. Time to turn around and head back. By the time I’m back I’ll be at 20.
22. Got DANG. This is a long ass stretch.
23. Like really, really long.
24. Okay. One foot in front of the other. Eat. Drink. Be merry.
25. Mile 20. I feel alright.
26. It’s getting a little hot.
27. That sun is relentless.
28. Maybe it was a bad idea to “TAN” during a 50 mile run.
29. Nah, I’m good.
30. Hit that marathon mark. Keep it moving.
31. Dang it this is long stretch. Everyone looks tired.
32. There are a LOT of people walking. It’s a little too early to walk.
33. Mile 30. I feel like sh*t.
34. Whyyy. Body don’t fail me now.
35. I need a chair. And pickle juice.
36. Nothing tastes good. Nothing at all.
37. I guess I’ll eat half of this oreo. It’s all soft and wet and gross. Not sure why.
38. Okay, time to get up and go now. That electrolyte pill helped.
39. Time to head back. Mile 40 I am going to make you my b*tch.
40. Race director tells me I’m “doing good”. Not sure what that means. Probably I’m one of the lead females.
41. Okay one more out and back and then we are done. Done done done. Can’t wait to be done.
42. I need a drink. I wonder if that would give me a bit of mojo.
43. Keep moving. Drinks after.
44. Dang this is a long stretch.
47. Face is burning. Literally my skin is burning off of my face.
48. Mile 45. This sand is not feeling as runnable as it once was.
49. Time to turn around.
50. Home stretch. Hot, tired. Placed. Top female. Need a chair. NOW. Finito. YAAS.
What are some of your thoughts during a race/run? Any more ultrarunner unicorns out there?